Sunday, September 21, 2014

White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack By: Peggy McIntosh


The author, Peggy McIntosh, argues that white privilege is an “invisible knapsack”. What she means by saying this is that white privilege is something that whites carry around every day, without it being of conscious or holding any burden. McIntosh states that she had been taught that racism is a term that puts a particular group at a disadvantage, without recognizing that it puts another group or groups at an advantage. This piece was very similar to the piece Privilege, Power, and Difference by Allan G. Johnson in that both authors described that the change of social injustice must not just come from changing the way we think, but by breaking the silence. If you’re white, and you think that you’re not privileged, you’re wrong. In this piece, McIntosh “unpacks the invisible back pack of white privilege”; she lists day-to-day conditions that white people experience, and don’t even think twice about. For example, “6. When I am told about our national heritage or about “civilization”, I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.” Since the beginning of America’s history white people have been walking around like they own the place. Christopher Columbus gets his own holiday and all of the credit for “discovering America”, but no one ever really talks about how the Native American’s were here first. Maybe it’s not all conscious, maybe some are living blissfully unaware, but whatever it is, it needs to change. I think that most people today think that because blacks and whites are allowed to attend the same schools, and that our President is of color that social injustice does not exist. I’d like to think it was that way, but unfortunately that’s not the way it is.

McIntosh states, “Disapproving of the systems won’t be enough to change them. I was taught that racism could end if white individuals changed their attitudes…Individual acts can palliate, but cannot end, these problems. To redesign social systems we need first to acknowledge their colossal unseen dimensions.” So, how do we do that? Where do we start? The Un-Fair Campaign is a campaign that was created to raise awareness about white privilege in our society, and to create a dialogue to discuss change towards racial injustice. This website offers a lot of resources to inform white people of how we can begin to make that change.

4 comments:

  1. I agree when you say " If you’re white, and you think that you’re not privileged, you’re wrong." After reading this article I agree that whites do have many privileges over others even though they don't notice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up as a white female, I never had to think of myself as being white. Like the article mentions, I was carrying this around everyday without even having to think about it. I agree with the article, and Nicole's statement above, whites do have privileges, and to deny that would be unjust. I know that I have an advantage over people because I have fair skin, and I did absolutely nothing to deserve that advantage. I agree when Jessica says that some people are blissfully unaware, and that things need to change. But I think it will take a global scale effort to make these changes and I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that interesting link with so many ideas and resources.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Jessica. I agree with when you said "I think that most people today think that because blacks and whites are allowed to attend the same schools, and that our President is of color that social injustice does not exist. I’d like to think it was that way, but unfortunately that’s not the way it is". I definitely think that social injustice gets pushed under the rug. Maybe some people truly aren't aware of its existence, but I think most just do not want to acknowledge that "invisible knapsack" that they are carrying around on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete