Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Silenced Dialogue

I actually connected to this reading more than I thought I would. Writing papers has always been a huge issue for me. All my life I have heard "you write like you talk", "it's not bad but it's too casual". All my life I've always felt like I've had to use fancy words or else no one would take me seriously. I spend way too much time looking at a thesaurus than I do saying what I want to say, what feels more comfortable. I spend way too much time worrying about what they think about what I'm saying. In school we're taught not to plagiarize, but to put ideas in our own words (and rightfully so). However, there's a right and a wrong way to do so. You asked for my words, my thoughts, my ideas. Why should they get to tell me how I can and can't speak those words? Who are they? People in power. The transcript between the teacher and her student really struck me. When the teacher asks her student about the text of the book he read, he says that they are not using the "right way" to talk and in school you get points taken off if you don't talk the "right way". He says that it shouldn't matter how you talk as long as its understood. Who is to say what's right and wrong. This video is a spoken word by Jamila Lyiscott explaining all of the different ways that she has to speak depending on what situation she's put in. I love spoken words and I just thought that this video really fit in well with the piece.


5 comments:

  1. I agree with your opinion on speaking with a free mind. It shouldn't matter how you speak as you express your thoughts because when our mind is in it's train of thought, disrupting it would make it worst for other people to understand you. It is better to get your point across rather than be worried about pronunciation, grammar or using fancy vocabularies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand you completely. English is not my first language and its a constant battle when I read and write. It takes up more time than it should and it becomes a little annoying with all of these standardized tests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ideas are very interesting, and i completely agree with what you have to say. I am white and english is my first language, so reading and writing comes easy to me, but i can only imagine how tricky it can be for those trying to learn English as a second language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not imagine how difficult it is for you to learn english as a second language. From reading your post, I agree that freedom of speech is very important in todays world

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can completely relate when teachers tell me that my writing is too casual. I write what I think, and it often comes off as if I am having a conversation with myself. I totally agree and believe that those in power should have less say in the way that I put my own ideas on paper.

    ReplyDelete